Friday, February 15, 2019

KING OF SCARS by Leigh Bardugo


Rating: A roguish swagger and a shot of rum

Highlight of note: Nikolai Lantsov is one of my favorite characters of all time. I loved him from his other appearances in the Grishaverse and was absolutely thrilled to see him as the focus of this new duology.

Would you read the next one? ABSOLUTELY. Of course, I could have told you that before I started this book because I've loved everything else set in this universe.


This is the first book in the Nikolai Duology but the sixth novel be set in the Grishaverse, a world where magic users known as grisha hold great influence. (Nikolai is not grisha. His only super powers are charisma and wit.) I'm honestly not certain how this book would fare as an introduction to the world. I worry that perhaps some of the aspects of the Grishaverse and some of the character histories are explained too quickly and in insufficient detail for a newcomer. I could be wrong as I actually began reading the series at Six of Crows, which is the fourth book, and had no difficulty from there even if I didn't understand some of the history, but this new book has a lot of references to earlier events and characters. Oddly enough, I think you probably would understand things well enough if you skipped the first three books (The Shadow of Bone Trilogy) but I suspect the Six of Crows Duology would really help your comprehension.

The characters are the main attraction to any of the Grishaverse stories. Nikolai is a personal favorite (Take Han Solo, mix in some Jack Sparrow, then add a touch of King Arthur and a pinch of genuine compassion and caring. Stir well and let Oscar Wilde craft his dialog. If that doesn't intrigue you, then you and I have very different tastes in rogues.) but he's not alone. The cast includes a large number of bad-ass women, including Nikolai's adviser, who banters with him in a way that reminds me of Katherine Hepburn if Katherine Hepburn had ever played a someone who could kill you with her thoughts.

The world is expansive and detailed. It continues to grow in complexity in a way that is highly satisfying. As I alluded earlier, I'm not certain if there's enough recapping of things already established for a newcomer, but that means people who have had the other book don't have to skim over long explanations of things they already understand.

And the plot is compelling, particularly in the final act. While it's easy to get caught up in Nikolai, his is one of two main plots. The other focuses on a different character from the earlier books who is adventuring in a different country. Her story has a more solid ending, although it still leaves off with her starting something intriguing. Neither plot line is completed so much as left at a convenient stopping point. Having read all of Bardugo's other novels, this didn't surprise me at all. In fact, I considered waiting to read this book until the next one is out solely because I knew it would leave me desperately wanting to know what happens next. I don't regret my decision, but I was right to worry I would get frustrated at having to wait for the next installment.

So, to summarize, this book is excellent and anyone who likes fantasy should give it a shot. You probably want to read at least some of the earlier stuff first though.


*
*
*

Below you'll find the notes I took as I read. Clearly, they contain major spoilers.

*
*
*


*
*
*

Notes

3% I am totally still ridiculously and entirely in love with Nikolai.

10% Nina's still awesome too. I'd forgotten how much I dislike Fjerdan culture. Bardugo really did do a good job with that.

13% I'm highly curious whether Nina truly hears the dead or if she's hallucinating. In this world, it could go either way and she did develop necromancer type abilities at the end of the last book... I suspect that whatever they find in Gafvalle might be an indicator as she says the dead are calling her there.

14% I'm pondering how good an idea a one armed spy is. He sticks out a lot, but maybe people assume that no one who stands out that much could be a spy?

16% The end of Chapter 5 is straight up creepy. And it would appear that yes, the dead really did call Nina there.

18% Sometimes the witty banter between Nikolai and Zoya reminds me of Hepburn and Tracy. I love it. Despite the resemblance to the classic pair, I don't think they're going to wind up together, but damned if they can't play off each other.

21% Hmm... There apparently is something romantic between Nikolai and Zoya. Zoya's probably too sensible enough to let anything happen though. The kingdom needs a queen who gains them something they don't already have. Although kings do have mistresses...

23% People are worshipping the Darkling. That's some form of messed up there.

26% I'm feeling physically stressed worrying about what this monster is doing to Nikolai. And what did his voice sound like when he said Zoya's name in monster form? I really hope he's not channeling the Darkling.

28% Matthias's burial is heart breaking.

43% (How did I get it 43% already?) I'm really liking Hanne. And there's been some evidence Nina is bi... Could Hanne help heal her heart? It's okay if she doesn't. She's still awesome. But...

56% Oh... The people at the factory are giving parem to pregnant women... I assume to see if the babies are born with super powers. 

68% These Saints do seem to be helping, but I can't help but worry what will happen if they're freed. I don't trust them enough to believe they're just going be normal unmagical mortals.

71% I quite like this Shu princess and her collection of axes. I think Nikolai would like her too, although I'm not sure where he's going to end with Zoya. Isaac certainly likes her and it would certainly be a fun scandal for her to run off with a guard.

86% Well, crap. I'd hoped I'd been wrong about not trusting the Saints.

88% Zombie babies. Nice.

95% Whoa. The princess wasn't really the princess. Now why she could fight and the soldier couldn't makes sense. Two impersonators fell in love. If it wasn't for the dagger, it would be wonderful.

THE END (98%) As expected, I really want to know what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought on what I wrote? Please let me know!